Articles mostly about beer
To be honest, I don't drink as much beer as I used to; you get fat(ter) drinking beer regularly. At least I was, and one of the more serious hazards of being an oft-gluttonous food writer.
- The Ginger Man, America's First Modern Beer Bar - It's true. The G-Man in H-Town is the very first beer bar in the contemporary sense. And it all kind of happened by happenstance, very happily.
- Pint sizes and imprecise use of the English language - How much beer is in your pint of beer? I did some research a few years ago to find out. It's usually not a pint.
- Hospoda on Manhattan's Upper East Side - Impeccably fresh Pilsner Urquell poured four different ways was a revelation. A version of this initially appeared in Draft Magazine. This has since closed and replaced by another Bohemian place that serves the Pilsner Urquell less exotically, but still in terrifically fresh, tasty fashion.
- Ayinger Brau Weisse, a wonderful match for Houston weather - It might even be better in translation.
- Rating the Bavarian hefe-weizens found in Houston - Some serious research was involved here.
- Rating the Oktoberfest beers found in Houston - Ditto
- Karmeliet, a gourmet starter (and finisher) - Thankfully this terrific Belgian beer is widely available, at least near where I live.